Friday, February 27, 2009

Journals

"When our children were very small,
I started to write down a few things about what happened every day."

Henry B. Eyring was talking about journals. He continued, "I heard in my mind these words: I'm not giving you these experiences just for yourself. Write them down.

"I decided to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family. For instance, I saw how Grandpa was serving us, in the way disciples of Jesus Christ always do. And so I wrote it down, so that my children could have the memory someday when they would need it.

"Before I would write, I would ponder this question: Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today? As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.

" I would find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness.

" Certain scriptures come to mind:

Take heed to thyself . . .lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen,
and lest they depart from thy heart.
---Deut. 4:9

The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost,
whom the Father will send in my name,
he shall teach you all things,
and bring all things to your remembrance,
whatsoever I have said unto you."
---John 14:25-26

"I ask myself: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need him. It brings me joy to remember him."

Presidents Hinckley and Eyring, 2007

How has keeping a journal reminded you of God's tender mercies?

P.S. Here's a suggestion for keeping track of the funny things kids say from a blog called Inchmark. Brooke writes the quotations on little pieces of paper and puts them in a jar. When she's feeling blue, she pulls one out and remembers why it's great to have kids!

No comments: