Monday, January 14, 2008

Birds of a Feather...(Thanks Celia Fae!)

My neighbor told me I looked like a mother quail when I waddled down the sidewalk with my six little kids following me in descending order. I was literally barefoot and pregnant. Ahhh...those were the good old days. I had groupies.

Now I bring up the rear. I can't keep up with my chicks since they've become roosters and mother hens. The baby chickadees run circles around me and I'm sometimes clucking in their dust. I've wondered if I have any leadership skills left.

But a little bird told me I have a following...and they're going to flock together! I'm preening my feathers and flying high. I hope you chicks will lend me a wing and a prayer!


7 comments:

Granny Annie said...

We lived in Kansas when I got my first chicks. They followed me around everywhere. One day they followed me to the house and waited under our pickup while I went inside. A huge rainstorm hit suddenly and I could see my poor chicks attempting to leave their shelter only to run back under the truck. I decided to lead them to the shelter of their chicken house. I grabbed my umbrella and ran out the door yelling, "Here chick, chick." My husband still laughs at the memory of me running in the rain with about 15 chicks trailing behind me. Oh my, the responsibilities of motherhood!

Christie said...

Can I be the president of your fan club? You DO have a following. We can't wait to hear your speak.

Celia Fae said...

I'm just worried there isn't going to be room for anyone else. I can't wait to hear you speak, oh, and meet you in person!

K.M. Saint James said...

My mom has always said being a grandmother was the best part of having kids. She loves us, her chicks, but let's face it, grandmothers can really enjoy the chick's chicks when they come along. Then age 2 really is cute because when it stops being cute, age 2 goes home!

I loved your button post. I can remember an old 'Turtles' can that my mom had for year. It was filled with loads of unusual buttons, some with history, some their history unknown. I always liked those the best . . . I could make up my own history to go with the buttons. Maybe that's why I became a writer . . . always looking for what could have, should have or might have been.

Fun post, thanks for sharing.

Jake said...

You are a rock star! Or the ultimate mother hen...

Jessica said...

I can't wait to hear you take ALL of this blogging stuff and turn it into something coherent and inspiring. I'll be writing every word down, so I can whip your talk out whenever someone acts like I'm wasting time here!

Paige said...

Marty, it's true and we will ALL be there! Look for the t-shirts, bracelets, and big mouths.

I feel more like a sheep dog herding the flock when I'm with my kids. And I have an awfully nasty bite.